About Bruyère

Frequently Asked Questions

Access to Information FAQs

What records does Bruyère Continuing Care have?

Under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act , (FIPPA), Bruyère Continuing Care must publish a Directory of Records listing the general classes or types of records in its custody.

Does FIPPA provide access to Personal Health Information (PHI)?

No, personal health information is subject to the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA). PHI held by Bruyère continuing Care may only be used and disclosed in accordance with PHIPA. Find out more information about collection, use and disclosure of personal health information.

How do I request access to information held by Bruyère Continuing Care?

First, consult the Directory of Records to ensure that we have the records you want. Then download and complete the access request form. You must clearly identify the records to which access is requested and be sure to include your contact information together with the $5 application fee (non-refundable) payable to Bruyère Continuing Care.

Are there other costs involved?

Yes. Under FIPPA, Bruyère may charge $7.50 for each 15 minutes of search and preparation time for general records. As well, a photocopying fee of $.20 per page applies to all records that may be disclosed. We may charge an additional fee of $10 for CDs or other storage media.

You will be advised if the processing fees will exceed $25 and you will be asked to provide a deposit of 50% if the estimated processing cost exceeds $100. We will let you know if any exemptions under FIPPA apply to the records you are requesting so that you can make an informed decision on whether or not to pay the deposit.

What can I do if access is denied?

You can appeal the decision. FIPPA provides an individual with the right to appeal any decision by the Head of an institution, including the decision to charge a fee. The Information and Privacy Commissioner is authorized to conduct an independent review of any decision made by Bruyère under FIPPA.


Contact the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner.

Who can I contact for further information?

Send an email to Bruyère Continuing Care’s Privacy and Access to Information Office at access@bruyere.org.